Monday, June 15, 2009

Sharron (Gibbons) Wiens

I decided I'd take time this afternoon to jot down a few memories of growing up in the Columbia Basin Ward. What a wonderful area to grow in; I feel so blessed to have been there under the influence of my parents and so many other friends and ward members. We moved to the farm in 1957, and I was just starting the 6th grade. Church was held in the basement of the Eltopia school. From there we moved to the "barracks" buildings as I called them, and eventually the ward helped construct the building that stands today. So, I guess I was a part of the history of the ward.

Here are some random thoughts that came in response to some of the questions you sent out with the invitation:

A few of my teachers stand out--Bertha Roylance, June Monson, and Julie Mathews. Bertha was a mutual teacher--the Laurel class, I think. I still remember the themes we memorized every year. June was our Seminary teacher, and I think Julie was one, too. Seminary was very early, but we all had a good time when we got there. We had some great Seminary breakfasts. Waffles with strawberries and whipped cream. Most of us rode Joe LaMonica's bus to PHS from Seminary, and he rocked in his seat the whole way to town.

I enjoyed mutual a lot; it was our social time during the week. The dance festivals were great fun, and I can remember helping my dad, Reed Gibbons, teach the dances. I still love to dance. I also liked playing softball. We'd practice twice a week, so we had to get our sprinklers changed and then dash to the church ball field. With the help of Cleo Mann's fast pitching, we usually had one of the best teams. I still remember helping with a triple out play!

We had some great campouts/outings, usually with chaperone Julie Mathews. I especially remember Sun Lakes. One time Randall Merrill got such a sunburn; I've never seen anyone so red. Some daring souls jumped from the cliffs. Not I, but my sister Dianne and Dan Hobbs did, among others. For some reason I remember George Bakan walking around the campfire in his stocking feet. Why would I remember that? Oh, and one of the meals was always steak. We each brought our own steaks. I wonder if that happens today?

Saturday night dances were fun, too. As I recall, everyone danced--adults and youth. Sometimes we had live bands, and Boyd Mackay could really get into playing his bass fiddle. In the old building we'd move the folding chairs so they lined the walls and then sprinkle corn meal on the wooden floor to make it easier for people to dance. We'd do the Mexican Hat Dance, and I remember once the line broke and I sort of flew along the row of chairs.

We'd set the chairs up to have movie nights, too. I can't remember why, but we usually tried to make money at these events. Probably to pay for camps. Roger Merrill was always thinking up ways to make more money. We'd joke that he could sell snow to an Eskimo. We had quite a few movie nights, so they must have been fruitful.

Another time Verna Hope directed a play in the old building--Mr. Cox and Mr. Box. I can't remember for sure if I was in it, but I think I was. Maybe that's what whetted my appetite for drama.

When the boys came home from their missions we always enjoyed firesides where they showed us their pictures and told us about their missions. It wasn't as common for girls to go on missions back then as it is today.

I remember weeding a lot of sugar beets and beans on the church farm. I think that was my introduction to "Many hands make light work."

Helping construct the new building was enjoyable. We had two young building missionaries, and most of us teenage girls thought they were cute. We didn't mind working next to them! I clearly remember staining and varnishing some doors, and I laid a brick on the north side of the building next to the foyer entrance.

As for church meetings, Verna Hope was always a great chorister. When we had time for favorite hymns, we always sang "Master the Tempest Is Raging." I don't remember who chose it, but I do remember getting louder and louder as we sang. I always thought Verl Asay's testimonies were LONG. He was the senior building missionary, as I recall. Funerals were always sad--especially for young people or young mothers. I especially remember Homer Gessel's funeral because someone sang "This Old House."

Oh, for fund raisers we once had a "Galloping Goose." You'd get a jar and a goodie. Then you put money in the jar to pay for the goodie, make some kind of goodie, and then pass the goodie and jar on to another family.

All in all, I have nothing but fond memories of Columbia Basin Ward and the people in it. So many friends helped me get a great start in life, and I truly appreciate it. I'm looking forward to a super reunion! Love, Sharron Wiens