Sunday, June 28, 2009

David Cook Memories

I have a lot of great memories of Columbia Basin Ward.

From our early morning seminary (yes, when I made it there). I remember going to Hill Cu-Mackay. Translating and creating our Golden Plates. I also remember our big yearly morning breakfast feast, usually turning into a pancake eating contest. Our long temple trips to Seattle, usually leaving early in the morning and taking virtually the entire day to get to and from. Our July 24th Celebrations, pie eating contest, our home made dunking booth, the food and so much more (I even caught the Greased Pig one year). I always appreciated my leaders, coaches and adults that allowed us as Youth to participate in so many things. Ward Basketball, Ward Softball. Remember the times of being able to play against some of the men of the ward and thinking we actually had somewhat of a chance (Never really did, but we had fun trying). In sports, one year we went to Spokane for Multi-Regions, where Roger Taylor was pitching the ball for practice batting and the ball was hit straight back at him. Dropping him, giving him a bloody nose, and it was sure swollen from it. I think every year I was there playing church sports, our team went to Regions or Multi-Regions (at least the years they still had it). We always had pretty good teams. Our trip to Priest Lake. Going over to the Burbank side of the river and going water skiing.

In scouting, going to Camp Wallowa (usually catching the go-carts the last day, prior to going home). My favorite scouting trip was our Horse back packing. Riding horses for several days, along cliff edges, through rain, snow and sun. Another trip we had, I don't remember where it was, thinking towards Wenatchee, but not sure, it was a winter trip, we pulled in off the highway, the road took us in to where it split off several times on various roads prior to our camp site. At the end of the camp, we were going to go down hill tubing. We were packing things up, everyone was loading the vehicles, Mark Records was still trying to clean up some of the pans from breakfast. They asked me to get out of the vehicle and go help him finish up. Mark and myself came back over to where the vehicles were, they were all gone. They had thought that everyone was loaded up and ready, not realizing Mark & I weren't in any of the vehicles. We were a little scared, not knowing what to do. It wasn't just am easy follow the road out to find our way out. I very carefully studied the tire tracks, we followed them, from road to road till we found our way out. We made it up to the road where there was a Ranger Station, where we were able to wait, out of the cold. Eventually after arriving at the tubing location, they realized that we weren't there and they did come back to get us. Everyone had a good laugh. Another scouting trip, we were fishing, primarily for perch and bluegill. Unfortunately, I ended our fishing experience a little sooner then expected. I was running with my fishing pole to go over to where some of the others were, I tripped, put the fish hook through one side of my finger, around the bone and back out the same side it went in. We had to go to the emergency room to have it removed. Doing money making projects for our camps, making and selling ropes (thanks Uncle William for your help), Washing, cleaning and selling 5 gallon buckets from the Chicken farm, doing work on the farms and even the nursery.

Plus our Ward, besides paying tithing, fast offerings and Ward budget/building expense (that the younger generation doesn't understand), we also did inventory at Griggs Retail store, spent many hours working the Chicken Farm, moving chickens, getting our hands all scratched up, chasing chicken under the cages/walk way, working the farm and more, just to be able to have a building to meet in each week and to have our activities.

Doing our road scavenger hunts, our dance festivals, going swimming at the Eppichs, Withers and Bleazards (thanks for the use of your pools).

I really haven't mentioned my leaders’ names, bishops I had or others that helped me, mostly because I didn't want to leave any of them out. However, I do want to say "Thank You, to each of you. For the time, effort, care and service you provided. I appreciate the many friendships I developed in the ward. I have a lot of great memories with the Youth in our ward. Thanks everyone for providing me such a great experience and memories I will treasure forever."

I remember one Sunday, passing Sacrament. When I went out to the foyer, I had looked outside and noticed a storm was coming in quickly or something. After finishing the Sacrament, I went outside, looked up at the sky, the clouds were rolling across the sky, like barrels. It wasn't anything I had ever seen before, it was kinda scary. I went back in, went up to the Bishop and had him come outside to see it. I remember him going back in, walking up to whoever it was at the time giving a talk, and telling them, they needed to wrap up the talk. He then told everyone to go home. We ended the meeting early. Shortly after getting home, we found out that Mount St. Helens had erupted. It was a good thing we got home when we did.

I am extremely grateful for the support our family received through and after the time of my Mother's trials and battle with cancer. I know she was loved. So many went above and beyond serving our family and helping us through a time that was very hard on our family. I remember looking around the chapel and seeing so many of you there at her funeral service. Thinking of how many people she had touched, how she was loved. Realizing that even though her life was short, she lived it the way she needed to. Not having regrets, appreciating life and constantly loving and serving others. Seeing so many of you there made me realize that even though I would miss her, that was her day of celebration, her final reward for the life she had lived. Thanks again to each of you.

Of course, there are a lot more memories, but these are the ones I wanted to share.

David Cook