Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Laura Ferguson Memories

Hi, it's Laura (Ferguson). Jerry said you wanted a few memories of Columbia Basin Ward. At first I didn't really think I could come up with many, but as I took a minute to think I came up with a few to share.

I guess I will start with primary. Patsy Cook was my favorite Primary teacher. I think it was Merrie MIss back then. She was a very special teacher. Once when I was in her class she gave everyone a little plant. I had it for a few years and then when she was sick with cancer I gave her the plant. I remember when Primary was on Wednesday afternoons and I would ride the bus from school to the church. We had to wear dresses so I would wear shorts under my dress so I could still do the monkey bars at school. I also remember when Sacrament Meeting was on Sunday night. (gosh, that makes me feel really old!)

I loved Young Women’s. I had many special Young Women leaders. My first Beehive teacher was Lisa (Andersen) Meyer. She gave me my first journal. I have been an avid journal writer since then. Some of my other special leaders were Krista Woodward, Carolyn Gibbons and Rosanne Kromm.

I remember the Temple trips. Getting up really early driving 4 hours to Seattle, eating lunch at a park and coming back. It was a really fun time. How lucky the youth are to have the Columbia River Temple so close.

Sports were a fun part of my life at Columbia Basin. I loved playing volleyball and softball. We had a great softball team. We went to Regionals many times.

Early morning seminary was great (when I went). My teachers were Phil Bleazard, Cindy Bleazard and I think Lane McGary too. All great teachers. It was just too early for me. Cindy tried really hard to get me to do home study so I could graduate, but it didn't happen.

I remember Jean Withers asking me to play the piano in Sacrament meeting a couple times a year and how terrified I would be. I can now say I am glad she asked me to do it though.

Well, I think that's it.

Laura