Monday, July 6, 2009

Memories from Shiela (Johnson) McCary

In this fast-paced world we live in now, it’s fun to stop for a few minutes and remember a time long ago when life seemed so simple, peaceful and a whole lot slower. I remember being excited to have a few hours off in the day to ride our bikes to play with neighbor friends, swim in the ditch, and how we learned to swim in the canal.

I remember winter seemed to be so much colder and our bus ride to school wasn’t very warm and in those days we wore dresses to school but got to put pants under our dress if it was super cold.

One of my first memories was holding church at the Rigbys’ (Bishop Rigby’s house), then holding church at the Junior High in Eltopia. A fun adventure was going by ferry boat to Richland which was our stake.

I was baptized in Richland and remember my interview with Bishop Bleazard. He was always very kind.

We later held church in a barracks building while we were building the church house. At that time they had work missionaries come out to help. Of course, all the teenage girls thought that was pretty neat.

MIA was always so much fun. After we had class we usually always got to take the chairs that were set up for church down and we got to dance.

We also had great Saturday night dances (usually a lot of nonmembers came also). I remember Ferris Naef and Randy Ririe as being great dancers. Sundays were fun to have Sunday School and Priesthood Meeting in the morning with Sacrament Meeting at night so it was a time when you could invite your friend over for the afternoon and go back to church at night. I remember Sundays with Vicky Herron, LaDawn Naef, Sheri Adamson, Darla Robison.

One Sunday School teacher I remember was Melvin Cook. He had just got home from his mission. I also remember when he brought Patsy and introduced her to us. They impressed me as a couple. He was a great teacher.

We had a great softball team and thought it was really exciting to go to Walla Walla or Tri-Cities to play and going to A&W afterwards for a hamburger, fries and root beer, all for 50 cents. Some players were Sharon & Diane Gibbons, Deanna and Louanna Hope, LaDawn Naef, Vicky Herron, Judy Bitton, Brenda and I, and others.

As teenagers I’m sure we all got tired of working on our own farms and loved to go work on the church farm. We knew all our friends would be there. Working was one thing we all learned to do and I’m sure we all look at it as a blessing now we’re older.

I remember Testimony meetings and how most all the youth got up to bear their testimonies.

My parents Vaughn and Bardella Johnson were on a Stake Mission and taught Robert the lessons when we were dating and he was baptized. We have three sons and one daughter with 13 grandchildren. We’re at the age where you realize how fast time really goes!

I’m thankful for the chance to have grown up in Columbia Basin Ward with all the fun memories and to be a part of the pioneering as a teenager. I am most thankful for parents who were strong in the Gospel and set such a great example for me, my children and grandchildren.

Sheila McCary (Johnson)